The purpose of the math assessment is to help us and you determine your level of preparedness for mathematics and math-related courses at Stony Brook University. It is important that your score accurately reflect your level of preparedness and ability, because you will be most successful at the university if you take courses best suited to you.
In order to enroll in a mathematics course, or a course with a mathematics prerequisite, all new students must demonstrate the appropriate level of mathematics proficiency. This is done by taking a proctored mathematics exam or its equivalent (appropriate transfer credit, AP scores, etc.) New students must take the proctored exam prior to their scheduled orientation.
- The math assessment covers a number of skills taught in first-year mathematics courses at Stony Brook; you may wish to review the list of topics covered. Of course, you are expected to do only those topics which you know, so the assessment is broken into a number of parts.
- You are encouraged to practice for each part of the assessment prior to doing it by using the practice problems.
- If you want to review material in various Stony Brook courses to prepare for the assessment, you might want to look at the videos and other material.
New students at the main campus, including transfers and first-year students (freshmen), will sign up for the proctored math assessment via the Advising Planning form. This form is available on SOLAR under the "New Student Information" folder.
- If you have been pre-approved to take the online version of the exam (this is limited to students with extra-ordinary circumstances who have made prior arrangements with the orientation office), you may do so by clicking this link.
- Proctored math assessments for main campus students are offered beginning in May and continuing through the first week of classes. New students should take the assessment before their orientation date. Students who live out-of-area should contact the Orientation office for additional options (631-632-6710).
- Current Stony Brook students may schedule a proctored exam by completing the form at http://go.stonybrook.edu/requesttestingcenter. If you do not receive a response in 24 hours, contact the Testing Center at 631-632-1861 to schedule the exam. The Testing Center requires 48 hours notice before the exam can be taken.
- The proctored math assessments for new students are either in the Testing Center in Frey Hall, in room S-235 of the Mathematics tower, or at other locations on the campus.
Here are some frequently asked questions, complete with frequently given answers.
If you have difficulties, you can email us at email@example.com.